Frisco Depot Museum
By 1887 the St Louis-San Francisco Railroad (Frisco) had completed its North-South line from Monet, Missouri, to Paris, Texas, through the Choctaw Nation. At that time a train stop (with presumably some kind of station) was created about 2 miles north of the current station and named Good Land. This point still has a railroad marker of "Good". In 1900, the Arkansas & Choctaw Railroad completed the East-West line with a junction at the current location of Hugo.
The business and people of Good Land migrated to the railroad junction and renamed the town to Raymond for the Raymond Trading Company, one of the first businesses at the new location. In 1902, the citizens tried to incorporate and obtain a post office under the name of Raymond but the U.S. Post Office rejected the name since there was already another Raymond, Indian Territory. The wife of one of the city platters (Mrs. W. H. Darrough), suggested Hugo, for Victor Hugo, her favorite author, and the post office agreed so the city became Hugo, Indian Territory.
The first depot in Hugo was built around 1900 and was a wooden structure located near where the Frisco (North-South Line) and the Arkansas & Choctaw (East-West Line) cross. This was replaced about 1910 with a new larger depot located on North B Street but this depot burned on Easter Day, 1912.
The depot as it currently stands was built and in operation in 1914 and continued in use until the 1960s when it was abandoned. The Choctaw County Historical Society obtained ownership of the Frisco Depot in 1978 and began its restoration to form the Frisco Depot Museum.
Frisco Depot Museum is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media